This highly profitable and immensely popular quilting retail and service business caters to quilting, sewing and embroidery hobbyists and professionals across Central Virginia and nationally. Quilter’s Corner has been recognized as one of the top 10 quilt shops in North America by the Fall 2021 Better Homes and Gardens Quilt Sampler magazine. In addition to selling all types of quilting, sewing and embroidery supplies and equipment, this business conducts many onsite classes, training workshops and events throughout the year. Many quilters rely upon this shop for education, consulting and specialized services in creating their complex projects. The business is an Authorized Dealer and Service Center for the Brother brand machines. Diversification of products and services has really helped this business thrive and it has a well-established presence online and through various social media channels. For over 20 years, quilters in Central Virginia have called this community-oriented shop their home!
Quilter’s Corner was founded in 1998 and has been under its current ownership since 2011. In 2016 the store was moved to it’s current larger venue in the Sycamore Square shopping center to accommodate its significant growth.
Markets and Customers
Quilter’s Corner caters to quilting, embroidery and sewing hobbyists of all skill levels. As a one-stop shop for all supplies, equipment, services, and classes; it has become the go-to place for all things textile-related. It maintains a loyal Facebook, You Tube and Instagram presence. Quilter’s Corner primarily serves Central Virginia but does have an online shop presence which has increased its reach nationwide. There is ample opportunity to expand upon this. It is actively engaged in the community hosting charity quilting groups and community yard sales.
7700 SF retail facility located in Sycamore Square in a busy commercial district. Large, bright, and attractive retail space upfront, open area for classes and workshops in back, with a dedicated area for longarm services. Rear of building includes administrative office, machine service area, storage, loading area, and team break room. Unfinished walk-up attic is accessible but is currently not used.
Quilter’s Corner has 3 salaried, 12 part-time team members and several contracted teachers.
Current Ownership and Structure
- Years Owned: 10+
- Stockholders: Tiffany Sherman, 50%; Gerry Sherman, 50%
- Form of Organization: Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- Date of Incorporation: May 2, 2011
- Business Year End: December 31st
- Type of Statements: Compiled
- Accounting Basis: Accrual
- Primary SIC Code: 5949
- NA Industry Class (NAICS): 451130
- Stellar reputation in the quilting community. Active member of several industry forums and trade shows.
- Twice designated one of the top 10 quilting shops in the nation by Better Homes and Gardens Quilt Sampler Magazine, Fall 2008 and most recently, Fall 2021.
- Chosen as one of ten shops nationwide to host the 2017 Kaffe Fassett/Brandon Mabley Book Tour. Conducted (2) 1-day workshops and critiques.
- Workshop host to international artist, Danny Amazonas in 2019. Conducted (3) 2-day workshops with attendees from around the world.
- Proven longevity – active business in Richmond for more than 20 years.
- Loyal, regular customer base.
- Diverse product and service offerings.
- Robust online shop with offerings in each department. Utilized by customers nationwide!
- Knowledgeable team members and teaching staff, passionate about creativity and quilting.
- Only Authorized Brother Machine Dealer and Service Center in the Richmond metro area.
- Exceptionally well-suited facility.
- Provider of longarm quilting for a large customer base.
- Maintained customer engagement throughout the pandemic with regular Facebook Live broadcasts.
- Kept the business operating and the team employed for the entirety of the pandemic, created masks for the community, expanded online product offerings and conducted curbside services.
The current owner manages the day-to-day operations of the business including the following activities:
- Marketing and Advertising – press releases, cross marketing with other Square merchants, involvement in community and online organizations, newsletters, social media, website updates
- Merchandising – assessing/predicting customer needs and purchasing appropriately (ST)
- Displays – organizing store and merchandise in a pleasing manner (Manager)
- Inventory – continually assessing accuracy of POS inventory with existing inventory
- Budgeting – utilizing OTB or other system to stay in budget (ST)
- Samples – coordinating and creating relevant store samples
- Longarm – edge-to-edge longarming
- Hiring – advertising, interviewing and assessing team-members for the sales floor and other positions
- Evaluations – periodic one-on-one with team-members
- Work Schedule – creating the monthly schedule
- Training – coordinate and facilitate ongoing training for sales and service (Manager)
- Brother Machine Dealership – conduct dealership according to contract and maintain relationship with district representative; Oversee Brother Service Center
- Retail Sales
- Yearly Events/Sales Planning
- Class Schedule and Coordination – includes upkeep and production of class calendar (EC)
- Accounting functions (bills, deposits, payroll)
- Vendor management
- Process Online Sales
- Create in-store Signage
(ST) = Strategy Team (EC) = Education Coordinator